So many choices...
Before you settle for another beer lets try to get you a few favorite cocktails.
Generally you can get a drink that falls into one of the following categories:
- sweet and strong - Black Russian (vodka and coffee liqueur)
- sweet and weak - Bay Breeze (Vodka, Cranberry Juice, and Pineapple Juice)
- tart and strong - Vodka Martini (Vodka, Dry Vermouth)
- tart and weak - Vodka 7 (Vodka and Lemon-lime soda)
- balanced and weak - Screwdriver (Vodka and Orange Juice)
- balanced and strong - Long Island Iced Tea (Vodka, Gin, Tequila, Rum, Triple Sec, Sweet and Sour mix, Cola)
- other - Each base liquor has a unique flavor that can provide a flavor like none you have experienced, but will greatly enjoy. These can't be lumped into a category. You will just have to try it.
All of my examples are made with vodka for a reason. If you are just coming into the joys of cocktails, I would recommend starting with vodka drinks. Vodka is a liquor that takes on the flavor of whatever it is mixed with and should not have an aftertaste.
At first, find a favorite vodka drink then move on to other liquors. (See The order of liquor post.)
Another great way to develop a favorite cocktail is to ask the bartender. Bartenders love to recommend drinks. They have a ton of them in their back pocket. ;)
Seriously, go into a bar in an afternoon when the bar is not so busy, sit down, and tell the bartender that you are interested in finding a new favorite vodka cocktail. They will be very happy to recommend and serve it up.
Up next... some recommended starter drinks.